Thursday 2 February 2012

Are We Our Own Worst Enemy? The LGBT? At Times?

This is an excerpt from Joe Knudson's blog posted on January 30, 2012. I hate to admit it, but most of the things listed below are true, and as an activist myself, I've experienced such. Sometimes, it seemed like I was losing hope because of such attitude of people, especially those coming from the community which I also belong - the LGBT community. It is really sad to know sometimes that the people whom you are fighting for are the same people who criticize and pull you down.
Then again, even with such criticisms, I am always reminded that as an advocate of equal rights and freedom, I am a soldier. I already know what's ahead of me yet, I still continue to march towards the battle and fight for I believe is right and fair. Otherwise, I would be like those people who say they care and complain about everything but doing nothing.

"I am also PROUD of what I do and what I stand for. I have devoted the balance of my life to my advocacy work and know before long I will be instrumental in bringing about total equality for the LGBT worldwide, as well as eradicating homophobia from societies across the globe.
It may not happen in my lifetime, but at least I will know I gave it my best and hopefully paved the way for others to pick up where I left off. Do you want to be a part of that or do you just want to sit back and criticize me for my efforts, as some of you appear to enjoy doing?

SHOOT FOR THE STARS...true optimism is a blessing!

NOW, WHAT I AM NOT PROUD OF ARE THE FOLLOWING:

1. Those who criticize & sit there & don't do a damn thing...
2. Those who are supposed to be leaders, but won't put the LGBT above their own egos...
3. Those who say they weren't contacted, but were & just didn't want to get involved...
4. Those who spend more of their time soliciting donations rather than taking action...
5. Those who say they know you, but spread rumors of what they want others to think...
6. Those who want you to do it all for them, but they won't do anything for you...
7. Those who say their way is the only way, but yet never tried your way...

8. Those who said they support your efforts, but then you never hear from them again...
9. Those who give you a commitment, but then never follow through...
10. Those who quote you with what they wanted you to say, not what you said...
11. Those who lie to make themselves look better at your expense or that of the LGBT...
12. Those who don't give a damn & would do anything to make you as miserable as them..."

I've also added some:


13. Those who wish things would change around them but just sit in the corner waiting....

14. Those who say they can change the world on their own, but not taking the risk...
15. Those who say they know lots of things about this and that, but keep it for themselves...
16. Those who say they want respect, but do not respect others..

If we really want to be accepted by the society and gain their respect, we have to start among ourselves. Instead of criticizing a person's weakness, why not use our strength to fill that weakness up? Why stand alone when we can work together? Our community is already marginalized. Let us not make the society look down on us more. Who else would help us if we don't help one another?

In unity, there is strength. In strength, there is power. With power, we can change the world.




But before we change the world,  let's start with unity.